The Pirate Castle is a unique, characterful and fully accessible community centre on the banks of the Regent’s Canal in the heart of Camden Town.
Only 200 metres from Camden Lock and less than five minutes’ walk from Camden Town tube station, the Pirate Castle is the perfect central London location for community events and activities of all kinds.
Extended and re-modelled in 2008 with Lottery and local government funding and newly-refurbished for 2017, this fully-accessible and characterful venue boasts stunning views of the Regent’s Canal, a spacious, light-filled Main Hall on the ground floor and a smaller, cosier Club Room on canal level.
Facilities include a lift, induction loop, Wi-Fi access throughout and modern, accessible toilets.
The Nuts & Bolts
Why Venue is Cherry Picked?
Built in 1977 and designed by Seiferts architects, The Pirate Castle is renowned as being the first defensive castle built in Britain since the sixteenth century. It is also a proud symbol of community dedication and ambition. If you’re looking for an interesting, flexible space in central London with modern facilities and unrivalled views of the waterway, The Pirate Castle is the perfect choice. You’ll also get a warm glow from knowing that all of the money raised through hall hire helps fund our charitable activities, which provide adventurous recreation and training opportunities on The Regent's Canal for children, young people and disability groups of all ages.
• Total area = approx. 120 square metres (12m x 10m)
• Panoramic window overlooking the bankside and picturesque Regent’s Canal
• Bathed in natural light from the large window and two massive sky lights
• Ceiling mounted, sound-activated disco lights - perfect for parties, dances and celebrations!
• Tables and chairs included in price
• Kitchen area/servery included in price
• Large, roll-down projector screen and overhead projector available at additional cost
• Total area = approx. 60 square metres (10m x 6m)
• Windows overlooking the towpath and picturesque Regent’s Canal
• Tables and chairs included in price
• Small kitchenette with fridge, sink and microwave included in price
• Pool table/ table tennis/ baby football available upon request (when not in use for Pirate Castle activities)
What are the hire charges?
Standard hire rates: Monday to Friday 09:00 - 18:00 = £40.00 per hour; evenings and weekends = £60.00 per hour
Standard hire rates: Monday to Friday 09:00 - 18:00 = £20.00 per hour; evenings and weekends = £40.00 per hour
Packages available for longer bookings/parties (4 hours+) and recurrent hire periods.
Discounts available for charities and voluntary groups running activities that directly benefit the local community (upon application)
Evening/weekend rates include provision of Duty Manager on-site (required for H&S/insurance purposes)
What are the opening hours?
Weekdays: 09:00 – 18:00 (earlier availability upon request)
Evenings: 18:00 – 00:00 (upon request/pending bookings)
Weekends: 09:00 – 00:00 (upon request/pending bookings)
Main Hall: seating capacity = 80 people; party capacity = up to 120 people. Club Room: capacity = up to 30 people (seated/standing)
The Main hall includes access to a full kitchen with fridge freezer, oven, hob, sink and serving area.
The Club Room includes a small kitchenette area with microwave, fridge and sink.
Although we do not offer a catering service, kettles, tea, instant coffee, sugar and disposable cups are available at no extra cost– bring your own milk and biscuits!
External catering permitted?
Yes – at no extra cost
No bar. We are not licensed for the sale of alcohol at a profit. Hirers may provide alcohol to guests free of charge or sell at/less than cost (i.e. not for profit) until 23:00. Temporary liquor licences can usually be arranged at an additional cost for events where alcohol will be sold at a profit. Advance notice required - details available upon request
• Permitted activities: • Unamplified live music events taking place between 08:00 and 23:00 • Events including live or recorded music/DJs and/or not-for-profit film showings within stated venue capacity between 08:00 and 23:00 • Both not-for-profit Where an event falls within the above categories, all music/entertainment must cease by 23:00, with guests vacating the building no later than midnight as we are located in a residential area. • For later and/or for profit events requiring music/DJs, temporary entertainment/ premises licences can usually be arranged at an additional cost. Advance notice required - details available upon request. N.B. Temporary Event Notice (TEN) requests must be issued to Camden Council within agreed notice periods.
Access to the bankside (Regent’s Canal) and/or roof terrace (overlooking the canal) may be available, pending Pirate Castle activities and H&S considerations. Please ask for further details
Pay and display, local on-street parking only
Ground floor – male, female and unisex accessible toilets/washroom, just off the Main Hall. Lower Ground – unisex/accessible toilet and wash/shower room, just off the Club Room
Full disabled access throughout, including a lift between street/ground level and lower ground areas. Induction loop throughout
Baby changing facilities in the ground floor toilet area
More than one function?
As The Pirate Castle is a multi-use facility, there may be occasions when more than one function/activity takes place on the same day. However, hirers are guaranteed exclusive use of their specified hire space for the duration of their booking. Fully exclusive use of the venue may be arranged at an additional cost, availability permitting
Civil Ceremony Approved Premise?